As a healthcare clinic owner, I cannot stress enough the importance of doing business locally. Most clients for healthcare clinics will travel less than an hour for an appointment, therefore it makes sense that you do most of your business within an hour radius of your clinic. Obviously this is variable depending on how densely populated the area you do business in. Since moving home to my local community and setting up my new Physiotherapy clinic www.compassphysio.ie I’ve got involved in as much local activity as possible. I’m baffled as to why more people don’t get involved in their community and support their local businesses. Now you may say hangon Colin, you’re always preaching about outsourcing to virtual assistants overseas. I agree with this for certain tasks but there are ways to also give back. For example if you need a haircut – go to your local hairdresser, if you want a coffee – go to your local cafe, if you want office paper – go to your local book store. You’ll be surprised who you’ll meet and maybe, just maybe you might pick up some new clients if you apply some of the principles from my blog on uniform and name badges.
So why keep it local…
- Creates jobs for the local area – If no one shops locally then there’is no need for local services, if there’s no need for local services then there’ll be no jobs for people.
- Keeps money locally – Here’s a little rant… rather than spend the money with a big corporate company who pay little or no tax in your country, why not spend it with your local business owner who sponsors the local football team.
- Personal connection – When you shop local you develop a personal connection, people are more inclined to do business with people they know and trust.
- Cost effective – Why pay for postage and packaging or sit in traffic when there is so much on offer right on your own door step? You’d be amazed at the diverse range (lots of people work from home) of businesses in your area when you start looking.
- Expert opinion – Local shop owners have to be the best in their area of expertise in order to compete with multinational companies, therefore they’re generally very good at what they do.
- Better service – As experts in their field a local business owner must look after his customers. If they fail to do this word quickly spreads amoung the community about poor service, therefore most local business owners provide excellent customer service and you won’t be talking to a help desk 10,000kms away!!
- Community growth – Having a local thriving business community encourages more outside business to invest in your area and therefore create more jobs and investment in your home town. This leads to better facilities and quality of life in the local area.
So if you’re healthcare clinic is located in a big industrial unit or a local shopping plaza I encourage you to get to know your business neighbours. You’ll be surprised who you might meet and what leads you get from it. At PracticeNav we can help you improve your community presence. Take our Online Audit which gives you instant results. This can help build your business in order to progress to the next steps in your exit strategy. Contact PracticeNav via email on email@example.com or take our Free business audit to find how we can help. Feel free to ask any questions in relation to this.